Ethno village


About us

Ethno village Stanišići is located on the way out of Bijeljina, three kilometers from the Pavlovic bridge. Ethno village Stanišići is out of the present time and space, it takes us back to our ancestors and nature and awakens an admiration in us towards simplicity of a former lifestyle. By listening to the burbling of the streams and churning of the water mill this is where a human relaxes eyes and soul and becomes wiser and more noble.

Ethno village Stanišići was founded in 2003 thanks to Boris Stanišić's inspiration. More than a few years ago he was traveling through villages of Middle Bosnia looking for old houses and objects which would preserve the knowledge about a period and culture from the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. The result is the authentic mountain village in the heart of Semberija plain.

Nowadays the village consists of two units. One unit represents secular life and it is made of wood. It consists of wooden houses - cottages with housewares which have belonged there for centuries. The cottages are connected by stone paths and two lakes in the center of the village. Second unit represents spiritual life and it is made by medieval architecture in stone which is actually a group of replicas of historic and religious importance.

The village consists of watermills, a dairy plant, a blacksmith's workshop, stone well, barn, and authentic wooden houses with the exhibition of housewares and costumes. The mill was made in 1937 and it is still in use as well as the watermill from 1917 where flour is being milled for the bread which is served in our restaurant. Inside of it you can find everything that a miller needed for living and milling flour.

A dairy plant derives from 1948. This is a small house for keeping and processing milk with all wooden dishes. Dairy plants used to be well-aired and clean, and the entrance was only allowed to the women who worked there. The houses are of Dinaric type, made of wood and with high roofs. This is a small locality with apartments which are authentic outside but with their interior completely adapted to the modern needs of guests. In one of the houses is a souvenir shop which sells products of old crafts and handicrafts. A few more objects are in process of building and this is where a blacksmith, cotton-mill and a pottery workshop will be. All objects of this unit are near the lake and a stream which winds among them and they are connected by stone paths. Clean water from the stream is all over the village and it symbolizes life, duration and existence.

Spiritual unit takes us back even deeper into the past and it is made up of replicas from different Orthodox places. It is connected with the secular unit by a big stone bridge which is a replica of Kozja Cuprija in Sarajevo. Crossing this bridge you come to the Christening room which is built according to a small church on Alaska. In the heart of this unit is Saint father Nicholas monastery (a replica of Kumanice monastery what is Nemanici's foundation) where the relic fragments of Emperor Uros and Saint father Nikolai are found. There is also a reliquary with holy relics of Saint Nicholas. Next to the monastery is a monastery house which represents remarkable example of medieval construction.

Nearby the monastery house, on a lake, is a stone amphitheater with 380 places, intended for cultural public events under the open sky.

Ethno village Stanišići

By listening to the chirping of birds, the burbling of the streams and churning of the water mill this is where a human relaxes eyes and soul and becomes wiser and more noble.